Friday, November 11, 2011

Google Sketchup

For the last part of my Personal Technology Project, I learned about Google Sketchup. It was really fun! And it is such a cool program.
It took me awhile to figure everything out, but after a lot of trial and error I created a design for a living room/kitchen/dining room! I downloaded models from Google 3D to use as furnishings.
I think this is a great tool for those interested in Interior Design. As a FACS major, I think it would be really great to use in the classroom when teaching my students. They can use Google Sketchup to design their own homes and use the concepts we talk about in class to make the houses fit the criteria that we discuss. For example, there are rules about traffic in the home. How wide should the hallway be? How much room should there be between the bed and the wall? These are things that students could easily incorporate into their designs.
I only have a basic understanding of Google Sketchup, but I'm sure my students would love to explore it more and create more exciting and complicated things!

No comments:

Post a Comment